About the Al-Anon Service Center of Tidewater
The Al-Anon Service Center of Tidewater, a local Not-for-Profit service, is an Al-Anon information service and literature distribution center:
"An Al‑Anon Information Service, also known as an Intergroup, is a
local service established and maintained by one or more districts or by
groups located close enough to one another for easy access and communication."
Al-Anon Service Manual, P24/P27
The Al-Anon Service Center of Tidewater provides the following services:
- Provides literature to Al-Anon groups in Hampton Roads and the Peninsula
- Maintains a listing in the local telephone directory, providing
a telephone number for those seeking information about
Al‑Anon and Alateen.
- Maintains an office address for listing with
the World Service Office. In this way, potential members may
be referred without revealing the name, address, or telephone
number of any Al‑Anon/Alateen member or individual.
- Receives mail and phone inquiries and forwards them to the
appropriate group for response or follow-up.
- In cooperation with the Area Group Records Coordinator,
updates, publishes, and distributes lists of group meetings
for WSO purposes.
- Plans and conducts program-exchange meetings where the
groupsí Chairpersons or Program Chairpersons exchange
teams of speakers for a scheduled period.
- Serves as an avenue for local Public Outreach [Public Information
(PI), Cooperating with the Professional Community
(CPC), and Institutions] work, which is channeled through
the districts whenever possible
- Maintains a stock of Conference Approved Literature
(CAL), and is registered with the WSO as a Literature Distribution
Center (LDC) for CAL.
- Holds periodic meetings attended by all the Information
Service Representatives where activity reports, including a
financial update, are made and matters regarding the groups
are discussed. Individual group problems are discussed in
light of the Twelve Traditions, remembering to offer experience
as opposed to advice.
- Distributes its own list of local Al‑Anon/
Alateen activities for the groups that support it.
Any local Al‑Anon or Alateen group may agree to support an
Information Service, but joining is purely voluntary. To find out how you or your group can volunteer at the Al-Anon Service Center of Tidewater, order literature through us, or otherwise support our efforts to serve local Al-Anon/Alateen groups, please contact us.